Traveling! It’s fun, it’s a great way to broaden one’s horizon, meet new people, see new places and potentially score some cool photos along the way.
Traveling can also be very expensive, especially when you are not smart, forget to pack essentials and fall for the many tourist traps that one may encounter.
A recent article published in 2013 by the telegraph referenced a study that states, “Taking a picture for posterity at a birthday, wedding or concert may harm our ability to remember the event fully, researchers believe in a phenomenon known as ‘photo-taking impairment effect” but let’s face it, who has time for all of that? I mean, are you really going to go on vacation without a camera?
This is why I wanted to share a few major items that are essential to any vacation depending on the location and your taste for adventure.
Bringing a good camera in this day in age anywhere seems to be a must, yes we have our precious phones with their top of the line “DSLR-challenging” cameras, but believe me when I say this, a camera is irreplaceable, the quality that stems from a top of the line shot, vs a simple iPhone shot (as great as the latter may be lately) is worth the purchase. Some top cameras right now on Amazon are:
Fujifilm has long been been an established brand in the photography niche, the XT10 is a famously gorgeous mirrorless camera
the specs are:
- 16MP X-Trans CMOS II Sensor W/ EXR Processor II
- New Auto Focus System – Single, Zone, Wide x AF-S, AF-C – 3D Tracking (Wide x AF-C) – Phase Detection + Contrast
- 2.36M dot OLED Electronic VF – World’s shortest display lag time 0.005sec. – 0.62x Finder Magnification
- New “X-T” Design – Compact Magnesium Body – Well balanced handing and grip – 3 Dials on Top and 2 Command Dials – Built-in Pop up Flash
Okay, so maybe you are more into action, having a little adventure, F! YEAH!!! Action Jackson, or GI Jane. Maybe you intend on flying out of an airplane during your well-deserved vacation, maybe you intend on paragliding or you are the undefeated brand new and improved Surfer Dude, alright, alright alright!!! Look no further than the GoPro to capture your adrenaline, cliff jumping, sky diving action pack footage. Amazon says that the features are as followed:
- Stunning 4K video and 12MP photos in Single, Burst and Time Lapse modes.
- Durable by design, HERO5 Black is waterproof to 33ft (10m) without a housing
- Additional GoPro HERO5 Black Features + Benefits below on item page.
- Preview and playback your shots, change settings and trim your footage, all on your GoPro.
Mirrorless is all the rage now, they are portable and pack as much if not more power than a DSLR. The Sony a6000 happens to be my personal favorite, the image quality alone speaks volumes, if you want to capture moments worth sharing, this is a solid choice. Of course the features per Amazon are as followed:
- 24 MP APS-C CMOS sensor
- ISO 100-25600 (expandable to 51200)
- Hybrid AF with 179-point focal plane phase-detection and 25 contrast detect points
- Up to 11 FPS continuous shooting
- 3-inch tilting LCD with 921,000 dots
- OLED electronic viewfinder with 100% coverage and 1.4 million dots
- Built-in Wi-Fi and NFC
- SD/SDHC/SDXC and Memory Stick Pro Duo/ Pro-HG Duo memory
- Compatible with Sony E Mount lenses
Waterproof or Shatterproof Cases
I would never advise you to not bring your phone on a vacation or anywhere else for that matter. We have become so dependent on that little device that without it we have trouble remembering our closest friends’ phone numbers. If you were born before 1995 you probably remember a time when we use to remember our mother’s number by heart. That being said, be careful to not accrue roaming fees or international text fees while you’re out there.
Now, if you’re like us you probably want to use your phone for some of the same purposes that you use your camera, you whip it out to take cool, quick shots, but the gag is you’re still worried about it getting wet or falling and cracking. Well, here are some solutions for you!
Okay these things are everywhere now, I saw them in Cancun, I saw them in Miami, they allow people to capture underwater footage with their precious phones without soaking it. In Cancun they were selling for $300.00 pesos which is about $16 American Dollars depending on the exchange rate. Trust me, get yours on Amazon now and save yourself a few bucks, plus, JOTO happens to sale the top rated version of this product and it has a lot of great reviews. Just remember the only protection it offers is waterproofing.
Chances are you already have a case, Otterboxes are cool but they are expensive and mildly bulky, I could recommend a Mophie case as well which doubles as an external battery, but those are expensive and might blow your budget here. Presenting the YesGo Shockproof case (IPhone 7 version featured above). These cases are rugged and relatively slimmer than the otterboxes with on par level of protection for a fraction of the cost.
For android fans, especially for the Samsung Galaxy S8 I would recommend the Spigen Neo Hybrid Galaxy S8 Case Herringbone with Flexible Inner Protection and Reinforced Hard Bumper Frame for Samsung Galaxy S8 (2017) – Gunmetal, I copied and pasted that title (thanks Spigen)
Rugged and durable, you can’t go wrong with this one either.
Battery packs/ External batteries
An external battery pack means, your devices remain charged up, you will not need to freak out when the battery meter shows 10%. Just get yourself one of those external batteries, you will thank me later.
I own one and it saved my phone’s battery life multiple times.
If you need multiple ports and a little more power this is it!!!, it also has fast charging capabilities for supported devices.
A good pair of Headphones
Music is necessary for long airplane rides and noise cancellation, whether you want to use it to jog along the beach or mountain climb, one could never deny the importance of bringing a pair or two along for the next big trip – I usually pack 3 pairs just in cases. Here are my recommendations.
IPhone users: ever since apple discontinued the headphone jack on the 7th iteration of their devices people have been scouring the internet for good wireless headphones or compatible lightning adapters. Some would just go back to apple and purchase a new pair, but Amazon is always available to save your wallet.
I enjoy Bluetooth stereo headphones, the Innlife wireless headphones are on the cheap side but they serve their purpose, they will not blow you away but they’re well worth the $24 price tag.
Sony, what is there to say ? these are quality over-the-ear headphones, bass booster, noise canceling, not too expensive. I travel with mine every time and I don’t hear anything while on the plane. doesn’t hurt that they are also good looking.
- EXTRA BASS dedicated option
- Bluetooth with NFC and high quality wireless streaming with built-in LDAC enhanced codec support.
- Sound optimization settings with the Sony Headphones Connect app
- Broad frequency response
- 18 hours of battery life
Here’s a 20 dollar option that will likely please the joggers among us, aelec is a best seller on Amazon and for good reason, here are the specs:
- HD SOUND: Bluetooth V4.1+ EDR APT-X audio decode technology, along with CVC 6.0 super noise reduction technology provides lossless stereo sound.
- SWEAT PROOF: Never have to worry about you earbuds might got damaged by too much sweat because it is designed to be sweatproof under lifetime guarantee.
- CONNECT MULTIPLE DEVICES: Never miss important calls or messages while watching TV or hitting the gym and sweating. Hibernation mode extends battery life also.
- COMFORT WEARING WITH SECURE FIT: Designed in a ergonomic angle, the S350 can fit snugly in your ear without hurting your ear or popping off while moving around or working out.
- LIFETIME HASSLE-FREE WARRANTY: We not only offer a 30-day satisfaction guarantee, our products come with a lifetime hassle-free sweatproof warranty and top notch customer service
If you own any type of headphone but you purchased an IPhone 7 – the cheapest option is to buy a headphone adapter.
Just plug any headphone onto the adapter and plug the adapter onto the phone.
The House of Marley Unisex Uplift Mic Midnight Headphones is a fantastic choice for that you can buy it here
Here are the specs:
FSC certified sapele wood
Recyclable bead-blasted aluminum
8mm high-performance micro speaker
Tangle-free, durable fabric cable and REWIND fabric carry case composed of reclaimed hemp, organic cotton, and recycled plastic bottles (RPET)
Microphone with Apple three-button controller
Here you go! Now you are all set and TechEd out for your next vacation. If you can think of anything else let us know below, signing up for future posts is a great idea and I am always open to suggestions.
Thank you for reading | Kindly share this post with your friends and family.